Recipe by AmyZoe
I found this recipe online years ago, but I don't recall where. It's a lot of work, but if you want to use your fresh garden tomatoes this is a great way to do it. Then the next time you make mozzarella sticks or breadsticks the marinara sauce is already done.
- 1 1⁄4 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 lbs ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot cook onion, celery, and carrots in oil until tender (around 20 minutes).
- Stir a few times and add garlic.
- Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sugar, and pepper and stir.
- Put through a food mill if you would like a smoother sauce or whirl in a food processor.
- Add remaining seasonings except salt and cook to desired consistency.
- Add salt and remove bay leaf.
- Pack into hot clean jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Process for 45 minutes (altitudes up to 1000 feet).
- Yield depends on how much you cook it down, but it will make approximately 8 pint jars.