1/1 Photo of Cannibal Cajun Brain
3 hrs 15 mins
Michelle Shaver's Note:
I got this recipe from http://www.divinedinnerparty.com and is based off of one by Better Homes and Gardens.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs shrimp, peeled, cooked, deveined
- 2 small roasted red peppers, julienned
- 1 green onion, sliced into 2-inch pieces, then julienned
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1.5 (1 1/2 tablespoon) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 -2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 pinch salt
- 1Into a purchased jello brain mold, layer your shrimp in, tails facing the middle of the brain. It's best if you layer them into the brain mold with the tails facing the middle, according to each "hemisphere" of the brain. This will give you the most realistic look. Tuck the shrimps in close together.
- 2Drop bits of roasted pepper and green onion in around the shrimp. These should look like veins and nerves when you're finished.
- 3Repeat, alternating between shrimp and vegetables, until you fill your Jello brain mold.
- 4Now make the gelatin. In a small saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the unflavored gelatin.
- 5Stir in the lemon zest, juice, tomato paste, garlic, honey, Cajun seasoning, and a pinch of salt (the amount will depend on how much salt is in your Cajun seasoning-- mine's salty so I don't use much).
- 6Pour this mixture over the shrimp in your brain mold, filling to the top. Discard any extra. With a rubber spatula, smooth the top of your shrimp and gelatin to create a smooth surface.
- 7Refrigerate until firm, at least several hours.
- 8To unmold, set your Jello brain mold in a bowl of hot water for a few seconds. Place a serving tray underneath, then flip your mold over. The brain should pop right out. This is one of the easiest gross Halloween foods to make in advance!
Browse Our Top Cajun Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cannibal Cajun Brain
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.0
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 171.4 mg
- Sodium 1079.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 21.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted red peppers