1 hr 10 mins
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
With the assistance of some of my Italian friends, I developed this marvelous tasting Cannelloni recipe. It takes a bit of time to prepare but is worth every effort one puts into it.
My Private Note
large c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 8 large cannelloni tubes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped, fresh button mushroom
- 14 fluid ounces tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole milk, homogenized
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/16 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1Cook cannelloni tubes according to package direction; drain and set aside to cool.
- 3In a medium size saucepan, heat olive oil on medium-high heat.
- 4Add chopped onion and saute' until just softened, about 4 minutes.
- 5Add chopped mushrooms and continue to saute' for another 3 minutes.
- 6Stir in tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, basil, parsley and water and bring to boil.
- 7Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 9In another medium-size saucepan, melt margarine or butter on medium heat.
- 10Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute mixing continuously.
- 11DO NOT BURN OR LET THE FLOUR GO LUMPY.
- 12Gradually stir in milk and cook on medium heat, stirring continuously until a smooth and thick sauce is formed.
- 13Stir in Ricotta cheese and Parmesan cheese, and continue to cook until the cheese has melted.
- 14Remove from heat and stir in drained, chopped spinach, beaten egg, ground nutmeg and salt.
- 15Carefully stuff each pre-cooked cannelloni tube with spinach mixture using a small spoon; set aside.
- 16CAREFUL NOT TO SPLIT THE COOKED TUBES.
- 17Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- 18In a 9" x 9" oven-proof casserole dish, spoon 2/3 of the sauce mixture over the bottom.
- 19Place stuffed tubes in a single layer into the sauce.
- 20Spoon remainder of the sauce over the tubes.
- 21Sprinkle with grated Mozzarella cheese and grated Parmesan cheese.
- 22Tightly cover with aluminum foil; place in preheated 350 F oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- 23Remove aluminum foil and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and a nice golden crust forms.
- 24Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cannelloni with Spinach and Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 470.1
- Calories from Fat 309
- Total Fat 34.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 109.3 mg
- Sodium 1290.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 23.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: