Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adapted from "Entertaining with the Sopranos"
- 4 cups bechamel sauce
- 1 lb ground veal
- 8 ounces Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 20 ounces spinach, frozen chopped, cooked and drained
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lasagna sheets, fresh, cut into 4-inch squares
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmigiano-reggiano cheese, separated
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the meats and garlic and cook, stirring frequently until no longer pink.
- Tip the pan to spoon off the excess fat.
- Stir in the spinach and 1 cup of the bechamel sauce; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly, then stir in 1 cup of parmigiano reggiano.
- Cook pasta until slightly underdone; placing in cold water until cool enough to handle, then lay flat on lint-free towel.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; butter 2 11 x 8 x 2 inch baking dishes.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce over the bottom of the baking dishes.
- Spread some of the filling over each pasta square, leaving 1/2 border on one side. Starting at the opposite side, loosely roll and place seam-side down in the baking dishes.
- Spoon the remaining sauce over the pasta.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and the top is golden brown. Serve hot.
- (The cannelloni can be assembled up to 1 day ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate after completely assembling. You will need to bake longer than 30 minutes).
This was very nice and the idea of just rolling up lasanga is a good one. I threw in some home made ricotta to use it up and that was a nice addition too. Made for Photo Tag Summer