- 4 cups bechamel sauce
- 1 lb ground veal
- 8 ounces Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 20 ounces spinach, frozen chopped, cooked and drained
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lasagna sheets, fresh, cut into 4-inch squares
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmigiano-reggiano cheese, separated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the meats and garlic and cook, stirring frequently until no longer pink.
- Tip the pan to spoon off the excess fat.
- Stir in the spinach and 1 cup of the bechamel sauce; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly, then stir in 1 cup of parmigiano reggiano.
- Cook pasta until slightly underdone; placing in cold water until cool enough to handle, then lay flat on lint-free towel.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; butter 2 11 x 8 x 2 inch baking dishes.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce over the bottom of the baking dishes.
- Spread some of the filling over each pasta square, leaving 1/2 border on one side. Starting at the opposite side, loosely roll and place seam-side down in the baking dishes.
- Spoon the remaining sauce over the pasta.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and the top is golden brown. Serve hot.
- (The cannelloni can be assembled up to 1 day ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate after completely assembling. You will need to bake longer than 30 minutes).