Recipe by Sage
A special cannelonni you will love serving. This pasta delivers pleasure. I have made this recipe and substituted the chicken with seafood; very good also.
Top Review by puppitypup
Made this for a large family get-together and everyone loved it, even those who normally turn their nose up at spinach! Lovely presentation and taste, this is a keeper. Thanks Sage!
- 1 cup tomato sauce, prepared
- 20 cannelloni tubes, precooked
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium leeks or 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 small shallots, minced
- 1 cup spinach, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups cooked chicken, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour tomato sauce in of 13”x9” pan. Set aside.
- White Sauce:
- Melt 3 Tbsp butter in microwave. Add flour to butter and slowly whisk in scalded milk. Microwave 3 minutes stirring a few times. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper and ¼ Cup of mozzarella cheese. Mix to melt cheese and set aside.
- Filling: Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in skillet, add leeks/onions, garlic, shallots and cook till tender. Pour mixture in bowl, add spinach, cottage cheese, ricotta, chicken, parsley, 1/4 Cup parmesan cheese, egg and mix.
- Spoon in piping bag fitted with a large plain tip and fill each tube. Arrange in single layer over tomato sauce in baking dish. Top with white sauce covering each and every tube. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Bake 1 hour, covered, in a 350* oven. Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer. Broil 2-3 minutes until lightly browned.