Recipe by Eat Your Vegetables!
Tuscan-inspired soups often seem to be overladen with ingredients, leaving them rather expensive and time consuming to make. In spite of the simplicity of this recipe, I don't find anything lacking. It has an excellent flavor and I can make it many times a year because it's so fast and inexpensive. Serve with crusty bread and a salad.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, bring the beans, broth, garlic, bay leaf, and carrots to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Add he spinach, salt and pepper, and stir for 1 minute.
- Spoon the stew into bowls. Drizzle with the oil. If desired, add either some of vinegar or Parmesan.