Recipe by Manami
Cannellini beans are white kidney beans; substitute Great Northern beans, if you prefer. Serve with brown rice or warm rustic bread to sop up all the juices; also make a salad of baby greens with oil and vinegar. Very healthy recipe for you! CookingLight Magazine, December 2007 edition.
Top Review by Chefdmp
This is a nice & hearty stew and I appreciate the healthyness of it. I liked but my boyfriend thought it was to fishy tasting. You definitely have to like a tomatoe based, fish sauce. If you like manhattan chowder you will probably like this.
- 1 lb unpeeled large shrimp
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups water
- 8 ounces bottled clam juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more if you choose) or 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more if you choose)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and devein shrimp, reserving shells.
- Cover and chill shrimp.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add reserved shrimp shells to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until shells turn pink.
- Stir in wine; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
- Stir in 2 cups water, clam juice, and bay leaf; simmer 12 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Set shrimp stock aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion to pan; cook 8 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste and garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in thyme, salt, pepper, and tomatoes; bring to a simmer.
- Strain shrimp stock through a colander over Dutch oven; discard solids.
- Add beans to pan; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes; remove from heat.
- Stir in shrimp; cover and let stand 5 minutes or until shrimp are done.
- Stir in parsley.