This recipe is amazing, and comes from Kalyn at Kalyn's Kitchen. It could be made with any kind of sausage really, however I used a smoked turkey and it turned out so well, even the kiddos ate it up!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 4 links smoked turkey sausage
- 2 -3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion (1/2 for beans and 1/2 for stew)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- fresh grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- 1If using dried beans, soak overnight, discard soaking water. Add beans to pot, cover with water by several inches. Add 1/2 onion (coarsly chopped), and 3-4 bay leaves. Simmer until soft (about 45 minutes). When done, drain in sink.
- 2While beans are cooking, cut sausage in half lengthwise, then cut into half-moon slices. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in heavy Dutch oven, sauté sausage until browned, about 5 minutes. When done, remove to bowl.
- 3Add chopped onion to pot, sauté for 2 minutes, adding more oil if necessary. After 2 minutes, add chopped garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- 4Add tomatoes and juice, dried oregano, dried marjoram, and chicken stock to pot with onions and garlic. Add sausage back to pot and cook at a low simmer about 30 minutes.
- 5After 30 minutes, add drained beans and simmer 15 minutes more. (If the mixture seems too dry at this point, add a bit more chicken stock.).
- 6Add chopped basil and balsamic vinegar and simmer 5 minutes more. Taste, and add salt and pepper as needed.
- 7Serve hot with freshly grated parmasean (Romano works nicely as well).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cannellini Bean and Sausage Stew
Serving Size: 1 (267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.7
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 3.6 mg
- Sodium 700.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 11.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked turkey sausage