Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice break from chili's and soups. A great dish to have when it's cold outside. If you like spicy dishes I recommend you add spicy sausage instead of sweet sausage. Either way it's a great meal!!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 italian sweet sausage, casings removed (about 1 pound)
- 1 small fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped sage
- 1 bunch swiss chard, stems removed and chopped (about 10 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly coat a 8 by 10 inch baking dish or gratin dish with oil.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, crumble the sausages and cook, breaking up, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove sausage from skillet and set aside.
- Add the fennel and onion to skillet and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and sage and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the Swiss chard, a handful at a time, stirring until slightly wilted.
- Stir in the broth, beans, sausage, salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the baking dish and set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the bread crumbs and Parmesan with the remaining olive oil.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture on top and bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm.