Prep 35 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is just pure delicious! What comes to mind is a big bowl of this and a loaf of crusty Italian bread! No more, no less! I like to make this for Monday Night Football,(when I make it in the late fall and winter), and invite 2 or 3 couples. Some bring bread, some bring dessert, but we all get full! This doubles and triples easily, and you can add your own touches to it.
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage (or more)
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2⁄3 cup spaghetti sauce, of your choice
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- grated parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Cut the sausage into 3/4-inch pieces, remove casing.
- Cook in large skillet over medium-low heat until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add onions and garlic to the skillet; cook until sausage is no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Drain skillet.
- Add tomatoes, beans,spaghetti sauce, and herbs. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, core, seed, and remove ribs from the bell pepper; cut into 3/4 square inch squares or diamonds. Cut zucchini into 1/2-inch slices, then quarter the slices. Add sweet pepper, zucchini and hot pepper flakes; simmer about 5 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve with Parmesan.
Very good! I used Hot Chicken Sausage and it was wonderful! Very comforting!