Recipe by An Dracon
I have been working on making healthier meals to keep my blood sugar in check. I have been buying canned beans to try and coming up with creative soups for my lunches.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Nice and filling.... and healthy! I cut the oil down to 1 tbsp. I added a few cloves of garlic and still thought it needed a little extra flavor. I added thyme, salt and pepper before simmering and that really did the trick. Thanx for sharing this..... I will make again with the added seasonings.
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 lb baby carrots, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) packagejimmy dean 97% fat-free breakfast sausage, crumbled
- 1 tomatoes, 1 inch chunks
- 1⁄4 head savoy cabbage, julienne sliced
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans cannellini beans
- 32 ounces chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- First: In a large soup pot or dutch kettle, saute the carrots and onions in the olive oil.
- Second: When the onions have turned translucent and the carrots have softened, add the sausage.
- Third: Once the sausage is cooked through, add the tomato, cabbage, beans, and broth.
- Let the soup simmer for 30 minutes.
- FYI- This soup is even better served the following day.
- A French baguette, Brie cheese and Bosc pears round out the meal for a continental flair.
- Or try, Cornbread, Cheddar Cheese and a Gala Apple for a hearty American meal.