Cook1 hr 45 mins
Not ready to use that trout your man brought home? Here is the solution.
Make and share this Canned Trout recipe from Food.com.
- table salt
- 6 average sized cleaned whole trout (with heads tails fins chopped off)
- Will need 4 - pint mason jars with lids rings, a pressure cooker or canner, a clean dish towel Jar lifter and a wire rack.
- Clean and sterilize the jars check for cracks etc.
- Pack jars with fish (do not de-bone), leave 1 inch headspace, add 1/2 teaspoons table salt.
- Seal jars tight but not too tight or will crack,.
- Set on wire rack in cooker and add 3 inches of water.
- Lock cooker and bring to 11lbs of pressure for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- DO NOT USE QUICK RELEASE METHOD. Turn off stove and let cool down naturally.
- Take out jars carefully and set on towel watch and make sure the seals pop. If one doesn’t pop put in fridge for use.
- Make patties out of trout with flour milk and damp crackers (just like you would salmon) and fry them.
I have been making canned Trout for years and DH loves it. I add 1 TBS Kraft Catalina dressing and a dash of Tabasco sauce to each jar before processing. Try it! You will like it.