Montana Heart Song's Note:
Originally I made this recipe to use in a lemon upside down cake and from there used a standard sweet canning syrup.The sweet & sour syrup can be used as a base, then soy sauce/ginger or any other spice added, thickened for oriental dishes. The lemon slices can be used as garnish, drinks, cakes, breads, rind can also be used. This recipe is multiple use.I have used the slices to decorate cakes.
My Private Note
half pi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice lemons as thin as you can get without breaking the rind. Save all the juice when you are slicing the lemons.(Add the lemon juice to the syrup.).
- 2Wash and sterilize 8 pint jars, wide mouth if you have. Heat the jars in the oven upside down in a pan with water 250* Heat seals in water.
- 3In large kettle, add water, sugar and salt.
- 4Turn heat to medium and dissolve sugar, do not burn, stir.
- 5Have a hot water bath canner ready with water heating.
- 6Pack lemon slices in jars, about 4 lemons per jar.Pack tight.
- 7Add syrup carefully. Make sure there are no air pockets, stick knife gently down the sides.
- 8Wipe each jar rim with a hot damp cloth, Place seal and ring on jar.
- 9Place jars in canner and process in hot water bath 20 minutes. Make sure boiling water is over the tops of the jars.
- 10Note: If you want the syrup to have more color and flavor, add the red hot cinnamon candies to the syrup and stir until they dissolve when making the syrup.
- 11Take out of the canner and place on a towel out of drafts until they seal. You can also turn upside down if you wish.
- 12Makes 16 half pints. Excellent Christmas gifts. Attach a card listing the uses.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Canned Sugared Lemon Slices in Syrup
Serving Size: 1 (57 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 64
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 59.1
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 444.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 0.6 g