Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Have not tried this one yet, was in a recipe collection CD.
Make and share this canned salmon recipe from Food.com.
- salmon fillet, boned and trimmed, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- Pack chunks of salmon into quart jars.
- To each quart add 1 Tbsp salt and 1 Tbsp white vinegar.
- The vinegar will soften any bones missed.
- Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to keep the meat moist.
- Add 1 Tbsp catsup for color.
- Seal the jars.
- Leave 2 inch air space for expansion and process in pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure for 90 minutes.
- Drain the oil off when ready to use.
as my dh is native we can alot of salmon every year. we find that you get more flavour if you leave the bone in as well as get the benefit of calicum too. also when processing in pressure canner would process quarts for longer time as 90 mins at 10lb pressure is used for pints
As I'm canning PINKS I wouldn't be using the oil as it's an oily fish to start with. I will try this later with the sockeye and coho. Thanks for the tips as I have never canned it before.