Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is from dh's Amish mother. This is simply outstanding - AND easy to make! This is perfect for the nights you're in a hurry to make supper - just grab a jar of meat, open & heat! We purchase these thighs when on sale (by the case) and try to keep this meat on hand. You won't be disappointed - it's SO yummy! Enjoy! Read editors' note below - and use your own judgment. The Amish have canned this way for generations (water bath) & it's never been an issue. I continue to make this recipe - with a water bath canner. Editors Note: From the University of Wisconsin-Cooperative Extension, Safe Food Preservation: Meat, wild game, poultry, and fish are low-acid foods and must be processed in a pressure canner for the full time specified to destroy food-poisoning bacteria that might be present. Under no circumstances should you use any other processing method such as boiling water bath, microwave, or over canning.
- Cube turkey thighs into desired size and place into canning jars.
- Add 1 t salt to each quart jar of meat.
- Add dash pepper to each quart jar of meat.
- Seal with lids and cook 2 1/2 hours over medium heat in a regular canner.
- Please note that it is not necessary to add any water to the jars- only the meat, salt& pepper.
- The meat will create its own juices.
Please see this thread: http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=279269 for an illustrated guide to canning meat.
All meat should be pressure canned, that said canned poultry is good. It always should be heated for 20 min before using