Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from the back of the Morton's Canning and Pickling Salt box. I wouldn't generally post a canning recipe, but I personally think that Morton is a "trusted source". I have not tried this yet, but I had a request for this recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt (Morton Canning & Pickling Salt)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 6 cups green mangoes (slightly ripened, 0.25-inch dice)
- 3 tablespoons cilantro (chopped, stems removed)
- 1⁄2 cup red onion (0.25-inch dice)
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper (0.25-inch dice)
- 2 tablespoons fresh jalapenos (minced, seeds removed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh garlic (minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- Prepare canner, jars, and lids, following manufacturer's instructions. To make Pickling Liquid place vinegar, water, sugar, Morton® Canning & Pickling Salt, lime juice and black peppercorns in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and continue to boil until liquid is reduced by one-fourth. Remove from heat and strain mixture into a heat proof container.
- Combine 2 cups Pickling Liquid and remaining ingredients in a large sauce pan. Bring to a rolling boil, continuing to boil until onions are softened. Remove from heat. Ladle salsa into hot sterilized pint jars, leaving 1/2" headspace. Remove air bubbles using a non-metal spatula. Wipe rims of jars. Close jars as manufacturer directs. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool, undisturbed. Check lids for proper seal after 24 hours.
- NOTE: Processing time above is for under 1000 feet. For altitudes 1000-6000 feet, process 20 minutes; above 6000 feet, process for 25 minutes.
This recipe taste so good! My family feel in love with it so much I had to make a run for more mangos. My question is with the liquid, is the remainder discarded after removing the 2cups?
Fabulous...only problem was it only made 4 - 500 ml jars. One was a little skimpy. Next time perhaps I will double the recipe because it is not going to last long.