Recipe by Montana Heart Song
Vintage recipe for(1) peck, that is 30# this recipe for approximatley 15# of green tomatoes.Uses:Drain and bread tomatoes for frying;puree for green tomato ketchup, chop for fresh relish.I usually add piementos if I am going to chop for relish and more sugar. If you have a large crock use for a 24 hour period.
Top Review by Krsi Sue
Wow, delicious and easy! I was tempted to just eat them all instead of canning them! I was lazy and used my mandolin slicer to slice the tomatoes. Next time I will slice by hand, as they might be just a tad thin. The ginger adds a nice heat. Very clear recipe for anyone that is just starting out with canning. Great recipe - - as always. Love it and love you too. krsi sue 11-15-07 update I've been eating these on my hamburgers instead of dill pickles and I really prefer them to cucumber pickles. This will be a yearly canning recipe! Thanks again
- 15 lbs green tomatoes, washed, sliced
- 4 white onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 6 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar or 2 cups Splenda granular, plus
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 4 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar or 1⁄2 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
Directions See How It's Made
- Layer sliced tomatoes, then onions, then tomatoes, onions.Sprinkle salt between layers. Place in crock or large stockpot.
- for 24 hours.
- The next day drain off juice. Throw away.
- In stockpot add vinegar,sugar,allspice, dry mustard, cloves, celery seed, ginger and brown sugar. Stir with a wooden spoon, bring to a slow boil.
- Pack tomatoes in sterilized wide mouth pints or quarts. Pack onions if you like.
- The guideline is usually 2 tomatoes per pint jar. But this depends on the size of your tomatoes.
- Pour vinegar spice mixture over tomatoes, wipe rim of jar, hot seal and ring tight. It is ok to add a little water to vinegar mixture if you run a little short.
- Put in water bath canner, process 20 minutes. Take out, place on towelled counter,out of drafts and all should seal.
- 24 hour period is included in prep time.
- With this recipe you can have fried green tomatoes in the winter! If that is going to be your use.cut the tomatoes a little thick.