1 hr 20 mins
Montana Heart Song's Note:
Vintage recipe for(1) peck, that is 30# this recipe for approximatley 15# of green tomatoes.Uses:Drain and bread tomatoes for frying;puree for green tomato ketchup, chop for fresh relish.I usually add piementos if I am going to chop for relish and more sugar. If you have a large crock use for a 24 hour period.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 15 lbs green tomatoes, washed, sliced
- 4 white onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 6 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar or 2 cups Splenda granular, plus
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 4 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or 1/2 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1Layer sliced tomatoes, then onions, then tomatoes, onions.Sprinkle salt between layers. Place in crock or large stockpot.
- 2for 24 hours.
- 3The next day drain off juice. Throw away.
- 4In stockpot add vinegar,sugar,allspice, dry mustard, cloves, celery seed, ginger and brown sugar. Stir with a wooden spoon, bring to a slow boil.
- 5Pack tomatoes in sterilized wide mouth pints or quarts. Pack onions if you like.
- 6The guideline is usually 2 tomatoes per pint jar. But this depends on the size of your tomatoes.
- 7Pour vinegar spice mixture over tomatoes, wipe rim of jar, hot seal and ring tight. It is ok to add a little water to vinegar mixture if you run a little short.
- 8Put in water bath canner, process 20 minutes. Take out, place on towelled counter,out of drafts and all should seal.
- 924 hour period is included in prep time.
- 10With this recipe you can have fried green tomatoes in the winter! If that is going to be your use.cut the tomatoes a little thick.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Canned Green Tomatoes With Spices
Serving Size: 1 (296 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 127.8
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 468.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 25.1 g
- Protein 2.8 g