I have revised this recipe. Cooks have told me it has been too juicy. When it is time to fill a pie shell,(if you desire) you can peel two apples and add sliced apples to this filling or raisins and nuts if you wish.Sprinkle 1/4 cups flour and 8 dots of butter before adding top crust. If you don't want a top crust,I have added recipe for oatmeal crunch crust.(Due to juicyness of some peaches i have revised this recipe and hope you now do not have any problems with it. Also slice your peaches at least 1/2 inch slices in width or a little more.
- 14 cups fresh sliced peaches, with juice (skins removed)
- 1 1⁄2 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons allspice
Syrup for Filling
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornstarch
- cold water
Oatmeal Crunch Crust
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup white flour or 1⁄2 cup rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered anise
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- In large bowl add peaches with juice, brown sugar, vanilla and allspice. Stir to mix.
- Set aside.
- In large 8 guart stockpot, add 4 cups water, white sugar, and stir until dissolved.
- Heat the peach mixture until hot, medium heat. Do not burn. Stir.
- Add cornstarch and enough cold water in small bowl and stir until dissolved and stirable.
- Add to syrup mixture and stir on medium heat. The syrup will be cloudy and then clear as the syrup starts to thicken.
- Add hot peach mixture and cook for 10 minutes until it starts a rolling boil.
- Cook 2 minutes.
- Fill hot pint jars, wipe with clean damp cloth on the rim, seal with hot seals, rings and tighten.
- Place in a hot water bath for 15 minutes.
- Preparation for Oatmeal Crunch Crust:.
- In medium bowl, add the first six ingredients. Mix well.
- Sprinkle on the top of the filled pie shell.
- 10 minutes before end of baking pie, sprinkle milk over the crust.
- You can make a cobbler with this recipe also. Just grease the pan before adding the filling. I like to use my batter recipe for a cobbler.