Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
No more store-bought canned tomatoes--have fresh ones all year round.
Top Review by Axe
Super! I've been doing this for several years now. The only change I make is that instead of squishing the tomatoes, I pour boiling water over them to fill the jars. This leaves the tomatoes nice and plump when you open the jars. Thanks for posting!
- 35 -40 large tomatoes
- 7 teaspoons sugar, 1 per quart
- 7 teaspoons salt, 1 per quart
- 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the tomatoes by dropping them in boiling water for 15 seconds. Core each tomato and leave it whole.
- Put salt, sugar, and lemon juice into hot jars. Pack the tomatoes tightly into the jars. you should have plenty of juice to cover the tomatoes by pressing them down.
- Remove the air bubbles and clean the rim of the jars. Seal and process in water bath for 45 minutes.