Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
No more store-bought canned tomatoes--have fresh ones all year round.
Make and share this Canned Fresh Tomatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 35 -40 large tomatoes
- 7 teaspoons sugar, 1 per quart
- 7 teaspoons salt, 1 per quart
- 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- Peel the tomatoes by dropping them in boiling water for 15 seconds. Core each tomato and leave it whole.
- Put salt, sugar, and lemon juice into hot jars. Pack the tomatoes tightly into the jars. you should have plenty of juice to cover the tomatoes by pressing them down.
- Remove the air bubbles and clean the rim of the jars. Seal and process in water bath for 45 minutes.
Super! I've been doing this for several years now. The only change I make is that instead of squishing the tomatoes, I pour boiling water over them to fill the jars. This leaves the tomatoes nice and plump when you open the jars. Thanks for posting!
So far so good. They look great, we can't wait to try them. Thanks for posting the recipe.
Simple and fast. They look very nice in the jar can't wait to try them. Thanks for the recipe.