Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
What could be better then homemade fresh tomato sauce for you dishes?
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 onions, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- 25 -30 tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon
- Add oil to 6 quart pot. Mince the onion and garlic in a food processor and sauté in the oil until transparent. Add the basil and parsley; remove from heat set aside.
- Peel tomatoes by dipping them in boiling water for 15 seconds. Remove the core and process until like juice. Add them to the pot with the onions. add the rest of the ingredients and blend well.
- Cook on low heat for 1 1/2 hours, stirring often.
- When sauce is done, ladle into hot jars to within 1/2 inch from top of jar. Clean the rim and seal.
- Process for 45 minutes in water bath.
I just got done canning 26 pints of tomato sauce using this recipe. (I doubled it) I tried some and it is so good. It has a lot of fresh, good flavor. I added one chopped green pepper and used 30 tomatoes per recipe. Everything else I kept the same. Very good!
What a delicious tomato sauce. I doubled the recipe using 60 roma tomatoes. I also added 2 can of tomato paste while it was cooking because it didn't have the thickness I wanted. I added a few extra cloves of garlic and about 1/2 cup of olive oil to the sauce. Doubling this recipe gave me 6 - 1 litre jars.
I just finished canning the fresh basil tomato sauce. It is an easy recipe and my home smells like my favorite Italian restaurant. Wonderful recipe to use each harvest season.