Recipe by Derf
Start saving your cans!! These cakes make great gifts, a little different from the ordinary and are nummy too! Have Fun!!
Top Review by waynejohn1234
This is a very good recipe for cranberry cakes. You can use white chocolate chips which gives it a different flavor and, I think more compatible with cranberries. The cans have to be sprayed with a baking product or the bottom lined with waxed paper. a
- 2 cups raw cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup oil (crisco or veggie)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cranberries and sugar.
- Set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in mixing bowl.
- Stir well to blend.
- Beat eggs, orange juice, oil and orange rind together.
- Add dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Fold in cranberry mixture, chocolate chips and nuts.
- Divide batter into 8 well greased 10 oz cans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean Cool 10 minutes, then run thin bladed knife around sides of tin to loosen.
- turn out on to rack to cool completely.
- Wrap and store overnight before slicing or freeze for later use.
- When ready to give as gifts, decorate can with tinfoil and christmas stickers, return cake to can, seal ends of can with tinfoil, tie with ribbons OR wrap cake in colourful saran wrap, decorate with ribbons and bows.