Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Canned chicken in broth is so handy to have around, I use it often for a variety of different things. I drain the chicken and freeze the broth for future use. I use the chicken for salad mix for sandwiches and for chicken salad with greens etc, chicken fritatta and any number of other recipes; For almost any recipe that calls for cooked chicken; I have even dumped the whole can, chicken and broth into a pot, add veggies, noodles and it makes a great soup.
canned chicken breast salad sandwich
- 1 (356 g) can chicken, in broth, breast 1% fat
- 4 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise, no fat type
- 1 tablespoon mustard, we like Dijon type
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons margarine, we like becel
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- 12 lettuce leaves
- fresh pineapple slice (optional)
- Canned chicken breast salad sandwich.
- Drain the chicken broth into a small freezer container and freeze for future use.
- Place the drained chicken in a small bowl; break up the pieces.
- Add to the chicken the mayonnaise, mustard, cranberries, pepper; mix well.
- Spread half a tablespoon of becel on each slice of bread.
- Spread one third of the chicken mix on 3 of the bread slices; place 3 lettuce leaves on top of the chicken mix; top each with the other three slices of bread. Slice each sandwich diagonally and diagonally again if you wish.
- Serve with slices of fresh pineapple.
- Serve on crackers as an appetizer.
- Serve the chicken in a salad of greens.
- Use the chicken in any recipe calling for cooked chicken.
- Use the whole can broth and chicken, put in a pot, add veggies and noodles for a great quick soup for lunch.
When I first blended the ingredients, I forgot to add the mustard. It was OKAY, but nothing to "write home about." When I added the mustard, I'm sorry to say, it was (in my humble opinion) pretty much disgusting. I never even got to the part about adding the lettuce, butter, and putting in on bread. Final Vote: YUK
I thought this recipe was very good--used regular mayo and regular mustard and added some halved green grapes. Served it on top of tomato slices with bread on the side. Also tasted good in a wrap. I do love the idea of having canned chicken (with no MSG or autolyzed yeast extract) for emergencies--great in tortilla soup! Thanks Derf for the other ideas also (fritatta, etc). A great staple to have on hand in case of hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, etc--it keeps a long time!
I hope you don't mind Derf - but I did not have any canned chicken, it's not something we can get in France that easily! However, I wanted to make this recipe with cold cooked chicken, which we often have - and it was lovely. We all really liked the addition of the cranberries, which is why I picked this recipe in the first place!! We ate this chicken mixture made into delicious sandwiches, alongside your easy corn and chicken chowder - a great combo!! Many thanks and PLEASE get well soon! FT:-)