Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I like to have meals on the table quickly. Canning meat allows me to do that, since I don't have to thaw it out first! Canning is easy, and you prepare for several meals at one time! You can use this in casseroles, salads, chicken & noodles--any recipe that calls for pre-cooked chicken. The liquid in the jar is broth!
- Wash 9 pint jars.
- Run them through dishwasher, to sterilize. Sterilize lids in the same manner.
- In each pint jar, place 1/2 t. salt, and 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. (you may have to cut one of the breasts in half so the jar isn't too full).
- Fill jar to within 1/2" of top with water (may use more or less than 1/2 cup).
- Run knife down inside of jar to remove air bubbles.
- Wipe off rim of jar with clean, damp cloth.
- Place lid on jar.
- Screw on band.
- Fill pressure canner 1" deep with cold water.
- Place jars in pressure canner.
- Open petcock.
- Turn on fire to medium-high, till steam is rapidly escaping through petcock.
- Close petcock. Pressure will start to rise.
- When the needle reaches 10 lb. pressure, start reducing heat till the needle stabilizes at 10 lb.
- Set timer for 70 minutes.
- When 70 minutes are up, turn off fire and leave the pressure canner alone till the needle goes back to zero!
- Open canner: using a jar lifter, remove jars and set in draft-free place to cool completely.
- Wipe down outside of jars, remove bands, label and place in pantry.
I just did this yesterday with 20lbs of chicken breasts. I got 7 quarts. I cut all the fat of the breasts and cut up the chicken into cubes. I then place the chicken into jars, no need to add liquid, I then sprinkle 1-2 tsp. of chicken boullion over chicken and process. When done you have plenty of chicken broth and perfectly canned chicken. This is great for storage or fast dinners.
This is fabulous and easy. Makes delicious chicken. Had this with your homemade chicken noodle soup - really great comfort food. Quick, easy, economical, tasty - what more could you ask for. Thanks SO much Wilmom. Chicken is on sale today - going to have a chicken canning frenzy tomorrow.