Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Fresh homemade blueberry pie filling you canned yourself.
- 4 1⁄2 quarts blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup bottled lemon juice
- 1 lemon, rind of, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon mace
- 5 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 1⁄2 cups water
- Clean the blueberries carefully and drain.
- Combine the lemon juice, lemon rind, nutmeg, mace, sugar, and water; cook until the mixture begins to boil.
- Fold in the blueberries and cook 1 minute more.
- Ladle mixture into hot jars. Release the air bubbles by running a knife along the side.
- Clean the rims of the jars, seal, and process in a water bath for 30 minutes.
I picked blueberries for 2 hours, cleaned stems for another hour. Thought the recipe was different from any other canning I'd done due to very short cooking time and very long processing time but I went with it. The syrup was VERY thin and runny, the recipe neglected to inform of amount of air/fill space to leave at the top so I had to guess. Thus almost none of the jars sealed properly. STAY AWAY FROM THIS ONE!
The taste here is excellent - very fresh - the blueberries really came through. My only problem was getting it to thicken properly. I ended up having to add cornstarch to get a thick consistency. I didn't can mine - I made it to use right away.
I omitted the lemon rind slices and opted for lemon zest instead. I also added 1/2 give or take of cornstarch. Everyone that tried it enjoyed it. Good recipie to practice with if you new to canning.