Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- Wipe off the peppers.
- Trim the stem to about 1/4 inch.
- Cut through pepper into 1-1 1/2 inch long pieces (small peppers would make two pieces by cutting in half).
- Have a cake pan on two burners with water in it.
- Put jars and lids in this water.
- In another pan, mix equal amounts vinegar and water and bring to boil.
- put cut peppers (or whole if you prefer) into hot jars.
- pour vinegar/water solution over peppers.
- add 1 tsp salt to each quart.
- wipe rim of jars.
- Place hot lid on hot jar of peppers and seal tightly.
- Place jar on a towel on countertop until cool and make sure it sealed properly.
- Put in a cool dark place for 6 to 8 weeks before eating.
Correct me if I am wrong, I believe that the water in cake pan is to sterilize the lids and jars!Once that is done, the mixture poured into the jars and lids boiled will seal the jars.
Your hot water bath does not sound very safe. Buy a large water canner or big stew pot instead of cake pan, you want to cover your jars with water.