Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Need a protein-rich dish, but can’t reach into your fridge or freezer for meat? Then toss a hearty salad that features canned beans! Any type of beans you pick – kidney beans, black beans or others – is a good source of protein, as well as iron and fiber.
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beets, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can new potatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 small onions or 1⁄2 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried parsley or 1⁄2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried basil or 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice concentrate or 1 tablespoon lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, mix kidney beans, beets, potatoes, onions, parsley and basil. Toss with olive oil and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. If you have a refrigerator or chilled cooler available, chill for 30 minutes before serving, or enjoy at room temperature.
- Servings: 6.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving:
- Calories 180; Total fat 5g; Saturated fat 0.5g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 470mg; Carbohydrate 28g; Fiber 8g; Protein 6g; Vitamin A 6%DV; Vitamin C 25%DV; Calcium 6%DV; Iron 20%DV.
- *Daily Value.