Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
These my best estimates and you may need a little more or less of the vinegar and water mix.
- 8 whole garlic cloves (optional)
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs banana peppers (this is an estimate)
- 4 teaspoons salt (you will use 1/2 tsp. per jar)
- 4 teaspoons alum
- 7 cups water (estimate)
- 1.Prepare jars. I chose to just wash my jars in hot soapy water. I turned my oven on to 175 to put the jars in to keep them warm after washing.
- 2.Wash whole banana peppers to remove any dirt. Remove tops from peppers and cut peppers into rings. I cut my rings sort of thick, but you can cut them as thick or thin as you want. Also, de-seed if you choose to de-seed your banana peppers.
- 3.In a large pot, combine 7 cups of water and 7 cups of white vinegar. Heat on high until boiling.
- 4.At the same time, in a small pot, place jar lids and boil.
- 5.Once the jars and lids are boiling, turn on low heat.
- 6.Add 1 clove of garlic to empty jar, then pack banana pepper rings tightly into the jar. Add 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoons alum to the peppers. Pour hot vinegar-water mixture over the peppers. Immediately put on lid and ring to seal.
- 7.Repeat with remaining peppers and jars.
- Once the jars start to cool, they will seal.