Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Had a whole lug of fresh apricots, 26#s decided to make a flavored sugar syrup. Very easy. Makes 12-14 quarts or approx. 24-26 pints. Flavored syrup can be frozen and added to ice tea or lemonade.
- Wash jars in hot soapy water. Rinse well.
- Turn oven to 250 degrees. Place jars upside down in 9X13 pan and place in oven. Pour hot water around the jars, about an 1 1/2 inchs.
- In water bath canner, add water half full.
- Place rack on the canner above the water. Put lid on and heat.
- In large stock pot mix lemon juice, sugar, pineapple juice, orange jello and hot water. Stir until dissolved.
- Heat moderate heat until hot, add apricots and gently stir until hot.
- Heat seals in a separate saucepan of hot water.
- Fill hot jars leaving 2 inches of head room. Use a knife blade to go on each side of jar to eliminate air pockets.
- Wipe rim and sides of jar with a clean hot wet cloth. Place seal on jar and screw on ring tight. Place in the rack in canner.
- Do this with each jar. I like to load the apricots and top off with hot syrup.
- Lower rack into canner, place lid. When water comes to a rolling boil over the jars, time for 20 minutes. Lift out rack.
- and place jars carefully on towelled counter out of drafts. When you hear the "pop" the jars have sealed.
- You may also turn them upside down and leave them. They will seal from the pressure also.
- You may freeze the additional syrup in ice cups and add to lemonade or ice tea.