Use in apple pies, apple crisp, as a topping for pancakes/waffles, in a yogurt parfait with granola or heated up in a bowl with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Recipe adapted from Ball’s “Complete Book of Home Preserving”. ClearJel® (NOT to be confused with Sure-Jell) is a corn starch that has been modified to give it special and unique characteristics when used in food products. From USDA: It can be used for canned fruit pie fillings because it does not break down in the acid food mixtures and does not thicken enough during heat processing to interfere with the intended effect of the heat on killing bacteria during canning. It is preferred for thickening canned pie fillings as well as other foods over other corn starches because it has less or no aftertaste, the thickened juices are smooth and clear, and foods thickened with ClearJel® may be frozen."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare boiling water canner. Heat (7 each) pint glass preserving jars with lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- 2Combine sugar, ClearJel, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large stainless steel saucepan. Stir in apple juice and cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, and cook until mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
- 3Add lemon juice, return to a boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Drain apple slices and immediately fold into hot mixture. Before processing, heat, stirring, until apples are heated through.
- 4Ladle hot pie filling into hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- 5Process jars in a boiling water canner for 25 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Canned Apple Pie Filling
Serving Size: 1 (3093 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 462.2
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 8.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 119.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 109.7 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: