Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This very thick, rich soup is made to celebrate special occasions, such as New Year's eve and special family events. This recipe was adapted from the Smithsonian Institution's, 1995 Festival of American Folklife Cookbook. Recipes for the book were contributed by American Cape Verdeans who are active in preserving their cultural heritage. The Cape Verde Islands are located about 300 miles west of Senegal. Many Cape Verdeans migrated to the Atlantic coast of the U.S., many to Rhode island.
- 1⁄2 whole chicken, cut up
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup short-grain white rice
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 3 cups water
- Saute onions in oil. Next add chicken pieces, boullion cubes and saute a few minutes more.
- Add 3 cups of water to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Simmer 30 to 35 minutes, until rice is cooked. Add water to adjust to desired consistency.
I agree. Today is a perfect day for a soup that reminds me of HOME (Rhode Island). Off the grocery store I go...
There was a nice chill to the air today and it reminded me of my youth in Massachusetts. I remembered how my mother would make a big pot of Canja. I never did get her recipe as she never really had one. Well I didn't need it. This Canja was spot on. Obrigada Lynnski for a taste of home.. SO SABE !!