Recipe by Denise in da Kitchen
I clipped this out of the paper. It is a nice change from mayonaise-based slaw and a great make-ahead dish for summer time picnics, etc. (Prep time is refrigerator time)
- 3 lbs cabbage
- 5 medium carrots
- 1 green pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup salad oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Shred the cabbage finely in the food processor or with a knife.
- Coarsely shred the carrots.
- Cut the green pepper into thin strips.
- Mix well and place in a 2 1/2 to 3 quart glass storage jar or canister.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, poppy seeds, mustard seeds, salt and pepper in medium saucepan.
- Heat to boiling; cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in oil and cool slightly.
- Pour dressing over cabbage mixture in storage jar (make sure dressing is cool enough to pour into glass jar).
- Cover and chill at least 24 hours before serving, stirring once or twice.