Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Love love love them! The amount is guessed, it depends on how you cut them.
- 2 cups carrots (boiled and pureed)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- Combine carrots, eggs and garlic. Mix until smooth. Add dry ingredients. Roll out on heavily floured surface and cut into bars or desired shapes. Bake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes or to desired crunchiness.
- The centers will continue to harden as they cool.
- Brush with egg white before baking for a glossy finish.
I have made these several times, with variations. Instead of cooked carrots, I used unsweetened applesauce. Didn't have wheat germ, so subbed in flaxseed one time and bulgur another. To save time, instead of cooked carrots, I have also used baby food--you can use whatever appeals--carrots, sweet potato, strained meat/chicken. For my last batch, I came across some discounted baby food--a mixture of apples, berries and beets. I used 4 jars of that. Took them to my dog's training group where they were promptly scarfed up by all!
FYI, garlic does have an ingredient, thiosulphate, that may be toxic to dogs and cats, but only in very large amounts. Garlic in small amounts is actually considered to be benefical to animals. My dad always gave our dogs garlic powder on their food, because he heard it kept the fleas away and those dogs all lived to be 17-18 years old!
You are not supposed to give dogs garlic...Garlic is very toxic for dogs. Please stop making these with garlic in them!!!!!