Recipe Junkie's Note:
From the book, A Little Vietnamese Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons tamarind paste or 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 7 cups water or 7 cups fish stock
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar or 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 large tomatoes, skinned and sliced
- 1 thick celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 10 ounces cod or 10 ounces white fish fillets, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 ounces bean sprouts
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped red chile
- mint or sweet basil or fresh coriander leaves
- 1Steep tamarind paste in cold water from allowance and strain into pot.
- 2Or if using lime juice, add it to the water or fish stock.
- 3Combine liquid, sugar, tomatoes, celery and fish sauce, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 4Add fish, bean sprouts and chilies and simmer for 3 minutes.
- 5Serve in individual soup bowls and garnish with plenty of mint, sweet basil or coriander, or all three.
- 6Serve with a side dip of Vietnamese Fish Sauce (nuoc cham).
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Canh Chua Ca (Sweet and Sour Fish Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 83.2
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 21.3 mg
- Sodium 280.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 10.1 g