Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the book, A Little Vietnamese Cookbook.
Make and share this Canh Chua Ca (Sweet and Sour Fish Soup) recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons tamarind paste or 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 7 cups water or 7 cups fish stock
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar or 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 large tomatoes, skinned and sliced
- 1 thick celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 10 ounces cod or 10 ounces white fish fillets, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 ounces bean sprouts
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped red chile
- mint or sweet basil or fresh coriander leaves
- Steep tamarind paste in cold water from allowance and strain into pot.
- Or if using lime juice, add it to the water or fish stock.
- Combine liquid, sugar, tomatoes, celery and fish sauce, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add fish, bean sprouts and chilies and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Serve in individual soup bowls and garnish with plenty of mint, sweet basil or coriander, or all three.
- Serve with a side dip of Vietnamese Fish Sauce (nuoc cham).