Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the book, A Little Vietnamese Cookbook.
Make and share this Canh Chua Ca (Sweet and Sour Fish Soup) recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons tamarind paste or 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 7 cups water or 7 cups fish stock
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar or 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 large tomatoes, skinned and sliced
- 1 thick celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 10 ounces cod or 10 ounces white fish fillets, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 ounces bean sprouts
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped red chile
- mint or sweet basil or fresh coriander leaves
- Steep tamarind paste in cold water from allowance and strain into pot.
- Or if using lime juice, add it to the water or fish stock.
- Combine liquid, sugar, tomatoes, celery and fish sauce, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add fish, bean sprouts and chilies and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Serve in individual soup bowls and garnish with plenty of mint, sweet basil or coriander, or all three.
- Serve with a side dip of Vietnamese Fish Sauce (nuoc cham).
Good recipe in a pinch that captures the essential sweet/sour taste. For true canh chua you must not leave out : ngo om (herb), okra, and bac ha ( taro stem or elephant ear stem). Celery is not quite the right flavour. Asian markets in large urban areas have these ingredients. Always serve with steamed rice on the side.
This is good for your body