1/1 Photo of Canh Bau Tom - Vietnamese Opo Squash Soup
Kiersten Phae's Note:
Bau, or opo squash, (calabash, cucuzzi, bottle gourd, etc) is a long pale green squash that can be found at Asian markets. It has a flavor similar to cucumbers mixed with zucchini. My daughter and I love this squash raw to snack on. My sister in law introduced me to this simple soup. She pairs it with Thit Kho, stewed pork, or other Kho recipes. This soup pairs nicely with salty dishes to mellow out the flavors. Can serve over rice to make a light stew. I sometimes add 2 c fish stock and 4 c of water. Prep time varies on how long the squash and shrimp needs to cook. If using this soup as a side to Kho dishes, I use the smaller amount of shrimp. If serving alone over rice, I use more shrimp.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large opo squash, Peeled and sliced thinly
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2-1 lb shrimp, peeled and diced
- 4 -6 green onions, diced, separated in half
- 1/4-1/2 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped, separated in half
- 1 -2 teaspoon white pepper, can use black
- 2 -3 tablespoons fish sauce, separated in half
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1Pour the stock into a large stock pan.
- 2Add the Opo Squash and cook over medium-high heat until the squash becomes soft and translucent.
- 3The squash may not become translucent if it's cut too thick. Just look for it to soften up.
- 4While the squash cooks put the shrimp, green onions, and cilantro into a mixing bowl.
- 5Mix and sort of blend the flavors together with a fork.
- 6Do not turn this into a mushy paste. The idea is to combine the flavors together.
- 7Season the shrimp mixture with the pepper, half of the fish sauce, sugar, and sesame oil. Mix well.
- 8Once the squash is translucent, Turn the heat to high and Bring to a boil.
- 9Add the sliced onions.
- 10Add the shrimp mixture to the soup in spoonfuls, this sort of makes dumplings.
- 11Cover and cook until the shrimp "dumplings" are cooked.
- 12After the dumplings cook, remove from heat and add the rest of the fish sauce.
- 13Stir to mix in the flavors.
- 14Garnish with the additional cilantro and green onions.
- 15Let the soup stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- 16Serve over rice and/or Kho recipes (stews).
- 17To simplify the recipe:.
- 18Skip mixing the shrimp all together with the seasonings. Dice the shrimp up and mix all the seasonings in the soup at the same time as the dumplings.
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Canh Bau Tom - Vietnamese Opo Squash Soup
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 92.6
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 86.4 mg
- Sodium 789.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 12.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: