Recipe by Red_Apple_Guy
This isn't so much a recipe as a method of cooking cornbread in a hurry - especially in small batches. I first encountered these cornbread cakes in Tennessee at a food counter and saw these pancakes. So...I asked what pancakes were doing alongside chicken and gravy. Laughter followed and I was quickly told "well, that's cornbread." Oh really? I've been making them ever since and this recipe has a few of my own ingredients.
Top Review by STARTERWIFE
Oh!My! This brings back memories,being raised in the south I ate these a lot,i love cornbread(but am limited to it because of diabetes),this is a great recipe,i have made them often,although I dont always use corn in them.Thanks for posting.
- 2 cups cornmeal mix, self-rising (I use Martha White)
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk or 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil (for frying)
- 2 ounces green chilies, chopped
- 8 3⁄4 ounces whole kernel corn, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Heat a skillet and add a little oil for frying.
- Pour enough batter into the skillet to form 4 to 6 inch round cakes.
- Fry until browned on the bottom and flip.
- Fry until both sides are browned.
- Serve hot with butter or with beans or stew.