The ultimate South Tyrol comfort food. Serve these little gems in a rich broth, as an accompaniment to roasts and stews, or as a pasta course with a meat sauce. The speck (or ham) is optional.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 150 g day-old bread (try it with rye!, about 5 ounces)
- 1/2 onion, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 80 g speck, chopped fine (or prosciutto or ham, about 3 ounces)
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml milk (about 1/2 cup) or 100 ml water (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped fine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Cut the bread in fine cubes and place in a mixing bowl.
- 2Saute the onion in the butter until tender. Mix with the bread.
- 3Add the flour and the speck.
- 4In a separate bowl blend the eggs, milk, parsley, salt and pepper; add to the bread, mixing well.
- 5Let the mixture rest for 15 minutes. The mixture shouldn't be too wet; add flour as needed.
- 6Form about 8 round dumplings.
- 7Bring a pot of water to a gentle boil, add the canederli, and cook for 15-20 minutes with the cover askew.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Canederli (Bread Dumplings)
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 302.8
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 130.4 mg
- Sodium 524.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 10.1 g