Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the Oct/Nov 2004 Taste of Home. I haven't tried it yet, but they look delicious.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
Crust and topping
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2-1 cup miniature M&M baking bits
- In a large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar.
- Cut in butter unil mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in pecans.
- Set aside 1/2 cup for topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 9 inch square pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar.
- Add egg, milk, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Pour over warm crust.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until set.
- Immediately sprinkle with baking bits.
- Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars and refrigerate leftovers.
This was pretty yummy, even though I made many changes. Firstly, I used walnuts instead of pecans, and I had nothing left to use for topping!I baked the base at 170 degrees C for 20 minutes (it wasn't brown at all), whisked the cream cheese filling by hand, used 2 egg whites (substitute, actually - I ran out of eggs), 1 tsp vanilla, and crushed more walnuts on top instead of using M&M baking bits. Then I let it bake in my oven at 180 degrees for 1/2 hour more, letting it cool inside for about 4 hours. Then I cut them up into 18 bars and promptly ate 2. YUMMY!thanks for this recipe that even a bird-brained (like me) could finish in 45 minutes!
These were delicious and bery easy to make. The only change I made was when I went to grab my pecans, realized that someone used them all. I subbed with honey roasted cashews. Yummmmmm