Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is in response to a request. A friend of mine always makes these at Christmas and I found the recipe in "The Best of Mayberry" cookbook. They are very sugary sweet! Great for parties.
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 lb coconut, grated fine (frozen or canned is fine)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin (plus 3 Tbsp extra as listed below)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons strawberry gelatin
- slivered almonds
- green food coloring
- Mix first 5 ingredients together (excluding the extra 3 Tbsp of strawberry gelatin).
- Chill in refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Roll into balls and shape in the form of strawberries.
- Roll in the 3 Tbsp of gelatin.
- Top with"leaves" made from almonds dyed green of green tinted powdered sugar icing.
My son (13) LOVES there treats. He made the for the fair a few years back and now just makes them here and there for fun! Very Sweet but YUMMY!!!
I made this recipe at Christmas and was a little disappointed with the result. Hubby and children each ate two of them and the rest were thrown away. They are MEGA sweet!!! (And there is usually nothing that is too sweet for my kiddos!) They were cute....and a great "kitchen experiment" with the kids (they LOVED creating the "strawberries"), but the end result is not very good.