1/2 Photos of Candy Popcorn
I remember having candied popcorn when I visited my grandparents as a young child. We would visit a kiosk where we would watch the popcorn being made. The hardest decision was always what colour to choose. This recipe was given to me from a friend. This recipe makes 5 to 6 cups of delicious candied popcorn This syrup gets extremely hot-please watch it cooking the WHOLE time it is on the stove. Be very careful not to get any on your hands.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oil in a large pan over a medium to high heat. Add the popping corn and cover. Shake the pan occasionally, until the popping stops. Or, the other option is to use the microwave or a popcorn maker.
- 2Transfer the popped corn to a large bowl, removing any unpopped corn kernels. If you have a seriously large metallic bowl you can later pour in the candy over the top of the popcorn -The bowl must be big enough to be able to toss the popcorn without it spilling over.
- 3Using a heavy based pan, combine the sugar, water and food colouring. Stir over heat, without boiling, until the sugar has dissolved . Use the largest saucepan/boiler that you can find.
- 4Please stand-by the stove whilst the candy is boiling, you will need to stir the mixture frequently. Bring to the boil. Boil uncovered for about 12 to 15 minutes. The temperature should be 150°C using a candy thermometer. If you do not have a thermometer drop a teaspoon of the candy mixture into a glass of water- the mixture should crack.
- 5Remove the candy mixture from the heat. Add the popcorn and stir quickly (and I do mean quickly!) to coat the popcorn with the candy.
- 6Spread the popcorn on foil lined trays to cool. Separate the popcorn as it is cooling with a wooden spoon or hands (be careful it is not too hot though!).
- 7Store in an airtight container for 3 - 4 days. The candied popcorn is best eaten after the candy has fully set and dried.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Candy Popcorn
Serving Size: 1 (44 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 119.2
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 26.6 g
- Protein 0.0 g