Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
From Taste of Home Kids' Party Food cookbook. Pen Perez from Berkeley, California says, "My friend asked me to make her son's 5th Birthday cake. I asked her what he wanted on it, she said, "Oh, just gobs and gobs of candy." Instead of piling on candy haphazardly, I made it like the Candy Land board game. The birthday boy, his friends and family members loved it!"
- 2 (18 1/4 ounce) packages cake mix, of your choice
- vanilla frosting
- chocolate frosting
- green food coloring, spray (optional)
- Starburst candies
- red fruit roll-up
- red coarse sugar
- dots candy
- regular and miniature peanut butter cup
- chocolate sprinkles
- 1 large and small gumdrop
- dum dum pops candy
- miniature candy canes
- clear and blue rock candy
- cake and waffle ice cream cones
- multicolored candy sprinkles
- green colored crystal sugar
- miniature marshmallow
- round peppermint candy
- conversation heart candy
Directions See How It's Made
- Line two 13-inch x 9-inch baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper. Prepare cake batter; pour into prepared pans. Bake according to package directions. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely; remove waxed paper.
- Level tops of cakes; place side by side on a covered board. Frost top and sides of cake with vanilla frosting; mist with food color spray, if desired.
- With Candy Land game board as your guide, form a path using Starburst candies. With vanilla frosting, pipe "Happy Birthday" on candies. With chocolate frosting, make an arrow, pipe "Start" on the arrow with vanilla frosting.
- For the Mountain/Gumdrop pass, use a red Fruit Roll-Up, red coarse sugar and Dots.
- For the Forests, add peanut butter cups topped with piped chocolate frosting, chocolate jimmies (sprinkles), gumdrops, Dum Dum pops, candy canes and rock candies.
- For the Castle, pipe vanilla frosting into ice cream cones, garnish with Dots and sprinkles.
- Between the pathways, add green colored sugar, sprinkles, miniature marshmallows, peppermints and conversation hearts. Pipe additional frosting to fill in spaces; top with sprinkles.
- Pipe vanilla frosting around base of cake; place peppermints around the top edge of cake.
- NOTE: This cake is best eaten the day it's prepared. Do not refrigerate.