1/1 Photo of Candy Corn Onigiri (Rice Balls)
For Halloween bento boxes! This is a lunchbox friendly recipe, quick to put together. Prep time does not include cooking of rice, as you can prepare the rice the night before, or use leftover rice. I like cooking my rice fresh in my rice cooker while I fix the rest of the lunches. These would also make good non-sweet treats for a Halloween party. You can also add a smidge of filling to the rice ball before you decorate it, like chicken, squash, or whatever. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wet your hands. Take half of rice and form into a triangle shape. I have a mold which helps me do this, but it can also be done easily by hand. Put onigiri down on a board, and wet hands again. Form three more onigiri and place on board.
- 2Using the onigiri as a guide, cut 4 trapezoids out of the cheese slice which will be stripes around the middle of the onigiri.
- 3Crack egg into a small bowl and mix. If needed, strain to get the large chunks of egg white out.
- 4Spray your slickest nonstick pan lightly but thoroughly with cooking spray (or use oil on a paper towel) . Heat pan on medium.
- 5Pour egg into pan when hot. Do not stir, but swirl the egg for an even layer all over the bottom of the pan. Keeping heat to medium or lower, cook until the top is just set, then get off the heat. Let cool, then remove from pan.
- 6Using the onigiri as a guide, cut 4 trapezoids which will be the stripes along the bottom.
- 7Your onigiri should now look like candy corn! If you are worried about the decorations sliding around in transit, you can use a small dab of mayonnaise or cream cheese as "glue".
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Candy Corn Onigiri (Rice Balls)
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 372.3
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 123.8 mg
- Sodium 308.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 13.1 g