Prep 4 hrs
Cook 12 mins
Plan ahead, needs to chill Get a head start on these buttery cookies by shaping and chilling the homemade dough ahead of time. When your are ready just slice and bake the tricolor treats.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- yellow food coloring paste
- orange paste food coloring (if you can't find the paste you can use the liquid type but don't use too much. you don't want to ad)
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking.soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half.
- Tint one portion yellow.
- Divide remaining dough into two-third and one-third.
- Color the larger portion orange; leave smaller portion white.
- Shape each portion of dough into two 8-inch logs.
- Flatten top and push sides in at a slight angle.
- Place orange logs on yellow logs; push the sides in at a.
- slight angle.
- Top with white logs; form a rounded top.
- Wrap in plastic wrap.
- Chill for 4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 F degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until set.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.