Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Cute little halloween cakes.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄2 cups buttercream frosting
- Beat first 6 ingredients in a large bowl at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended.
- Stir in buttermilk.
- Stir together 1 cup hot water and baking soda; stir into batter.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans.
- Bake at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Freeze layers 30 minutes.
- Cut each layer into 8 wedges.
- Stir orange food coloring into 1 1/2 cups frosting.
- Stir yellow food coloring into 1 1/4 cups frosting.
- Pipe frosting on top and sides of cake wedges to resemble candy corn.