Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have no idea where I got this recipe; it's been in my collection for years. It's a little different than your usual vegetable dish!
- 4 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 large potato, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 4 ounces bacon, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 cups corn
- Cook carrots and potatoes in boiling salted water until done; drain.
- Fry bacon until golden.
- Add olive oil to 1 tablespoon bacon drippings and cook onion 10 minutes over medium low heat.
- Add maple syrup and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in corn, bacon, carrots and potatoes and season to taste. Cook until warmed through.
I just made this for dinner. My hubby and I really liked the flavor of "Candy Corn!" It went well with our Kansas City Steak filets. He wants me to keep the recipe handy and make it again! Thanks so much for the wonderful side dish!
This is my new fave mixed veggie recipe! Wow! What can I say? Even my 11 year old daughter who is a dedicated meat-eater - Mom, do I HAVE to eat the veggies? - inhaled an entire plateful and asked if she could have more. It really was delicious so thanks for sharing it! I never would have thought of combining these veggies together this way. Awesome!
This recipe has been in my cookbook a long time and I was glad to finally give it a try! Nice combination of ingredients I wouldn't necessarily put together, but which make a different and lovely side dish. Maple syrup adds a hint of sweetness which pairs nicely with the bacon and carmelized onions. Thanks for sharing your recipe!