These bite-size cookies have a light and delicate texture, and are one of the first cookies I ever learned to make. I use the lower sugar amounts and that is sweet enough for me, but I have included the original amounts also in case you like your cookies more traditionally sweet. If you want to skip the whole wheat flour, increase the white flour to 1 1/2 cups.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cream sugars, butter, and shortening together.
- Add in vanilla and egg; beat well.
- Sprinkle baking soda and salt over mixture, and add in flours; mix well.
- Stir in M&Ms.
- Measure dough by the teaspoon onto the cookie sheets. These do not spread very much, so you can put them fairly close together.
- Bake for about 8 minutes, or until they just start to brown.
- Remove from oven; allow them to cool on the baking sheet for a minute before removing them to cook completely on wire racks.