Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Don't limit yourself to candy canes and peppermint. You can use any flavoring and food coloring and make any kind of cookie. You are only limited by your imagination.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 dash salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red food coloring
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla, extract and salt, beat well.
- Add flour and beat until thoroughly mixed.
- Divide dough in half.
- Add red food coloring to one half.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- For each cookie, on a floured surface shape a teaspoon of plain dough and a teaspoon of red dough into a 4 inch long rope.
- Place ropes side by side and twist together.
- Pinch ends to seal.
- Form into a candy cane shape and place 2 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 8- 10 minutes.
- Remove from sheet, cool and brush on icing.
We make these every Christmas. Great for kids and they look great on a cookie tray, yummy too!