Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
Pretty little cookies for the holidays, DO need constant attention while baking, though.
- 1 (16 1/2 ounce) package refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1⁄2 cup finely crushed peppermint candy cane (about 8 standard-size candy canes)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mint extract
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350.
- Line one or two large baking sheets with nonstick foil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, knead together cookie dough, 1/4 cup of the crushed candy canes, the mint extract and flour until combined.
- Break off a level teaspoon of dough and roll into a 4 1/2 to 5-inch long rope.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet,spacing ropes at least 1 inch apart.
- Repeat until entire sheet is full.
- Cover dough and refrigerate in between batches.
- Bake at 350 for 7 minutes until puffed and just begining to color.
- Do not overbake!
- Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat using all dough.
- To form a glaze, stir together confectioners' sugar and 4 teaspoons of water until smooth, spreading consistency.
- Brush some of the glaze over sticks and let dry completely.
- With a small, clean paintbrush, use remaining glaze to paint stripes diagonally across sticks, spacing about 1/2 inch apart.
- Immediately sprinkle stripes with some of the remaining crushed candy to resemble a candy cane.
- Let dry completely.