This is served every Christmas in our house. Remember to leave time for it to chill in the fridge. If you can't find chocolate wafers on their own then you can use anything like an Oreo cookie -- just scrape the icing off and use the chocolate biscuit.
- In a saucepan, combine the candy and milk.
- Heat over a low heat and stir frequently until the candy dissolves.
- Soften the gelatin in cold water and then dissolve in the hot milk mixture. At this point, read your package to check how much gelatin you need. The 2 tsp is based on gelatin in Canada, but we have found that in the UK it is not as strong and we need to use about double to fully set the liquid.
- Chill until partially set, then fold in the whipped cream.
- Break 7 chocolate wafers in half and stand them around the outside of a 10 x 6 x 1-1/2 inch baking dish or in a pie plate about 9-10 inches across.
- Place a whole layer of wafers in the bottom of the dish.
- Pour half the peppermint mixture over.
- Repeat the layers.
- Chill 6 hours or overnight.
- Sprinkle with a few chocolate wafer crumbs and cut to serve.