Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Making for my friends for the holidays...
- cooking spray
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 4 (1/4 ounce) packages unflavored gelatin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- Coat an 8-inch square pan with spray, line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Coat parchment with spray and set pan aside.
- Put sugar, corn syrup and 3/4 cup water in small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
- Stop stirring, let mix come to a boil.
- Raise heat to medium high.
- Cook until mix registers 260 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Sprinkle gelatin over 3/4 cup water, let stand 5 minutes.
- Set bowl over pan of simmering water, whisking constantly until dissolved.
- Stir in peppermint extract after removed from heat.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk gelatin into sugar mix.
- Add egg.
- Mix on high until very thick, about 12-15 minutes.
- Pour into lined pan and swirl with red food coloring.
- Let stand overnight and cut into squares.
This is actually pretty easy if you get everything organized before you start - even if you have hardly any experience with desserts/candies like me. =] The coloring is tough, I've gotta figure that part out still. Based on a comment on the Martha Stewart site where this recipe is from, I rolled them in powdered sugar after I cut them so they wouldn't stick together. And for cutting, kitchen shears worked a thousand times better than a knife. I'm going to make some green ones, too.
These are delicious! I would use a whole teaspoon of peppermint extract next time to add just a bit more flavour. I ran into problems with the food colouring though - that's why my photo doesn't show the other side! It just kind of sat on top and I couldn't swirl it in because the mixture was too thick. Maybe give it one stir in the bowl before pouring it into the pan? Or skip it altogether? The kids absolutely loved this and my one DS almost made this be himself. Very good! Made for TYM tag. Thanks! :)
These are so magnificent and so real! These are 10 stars at least! I've made marshmallows once before, so I knew what I was up against. These I didn't need to mix at the end for 12-15 minutes; mine became a bit too thick. Or maybe they were a perfect consistency. My bottle of extract literally poured extra into the mix -- I was shocked! Yet, the extra peppermint is not overpowering; it's not subtle, either! I'm thinking that a teaspoon would be perfect. As for applying the red food coloring, that is a technique I will have to experiment with and develop properly. And then, the hot chocolate test! Yummo! I cannot wait to try this as the filling for my next chocolate whoopie pies. Thanks, Concrete Gardener, for an amazing treat! Made for PAC Fall 2009.