Recipe by Munchkin Mama
I forgot I had this recipe and I thought I'd post it before Christmas. It is easy and good for any time of year. Can be made up to 1 month ahead of time! The chocolate sauce is optional and I usually don't add it but if you really like chocolate it does add to the already lovely presentation.
- 3 cups mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened
- 7 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1⁄2 cup crushed candy cane
For the chocolate sauce (optional)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or 6 oz. semisweet chocolate, cut up)
- 2⁄3 cup light cream or 2⁄3 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons peppermint extract or 2 tablespoons mint liqueur
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a 2-qt. mold with nonstick coating.
- Spread softened mint chip ice cream in the mold and smooth the surface evenly. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Spread about *half* of the vanilla ice cream over the mint chip layer. Freeze again for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together the remaining vanilla ice cream and the crushed candy canes in a chilled mixing bowl; When the previous layer has had time to freeze, spread evenly over the vanilla ice cream layer.
- Cover and freeze several hours or up to 1 month.
- For the chocolate sauce: combine chocolate pieces, light cream of half & half, and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Increase the heat to medium and continue to cook until just boiling.
- Remove from heat; stir in liqueur or peppermint extract. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator.
- To serve: wrap a hot towel around the mold for several seconds. Place a serving plate upside down over the mold. Carefully invert and remove mold. Serve at once with warm or cooled chocolate sauce.